Sunday, April 12, 2009

Outside Time

Yesterday Eric's therapists wanted to take him outside for a little bit. Honestly, I thought it was a bit cold out to do that but gave them the OK. It is April and the temps are in the 30s and 40s. Definitely not spring weather. They took him to the park across the street, just in the open area. I stayed with my other 2 boys so one of the therapists took the outside photos.

Putting on his shoe. Eventually he will figure out that it helps if he puts the shoe and his foot down and uses both hands. He will only use his right hand for this and many other things for some reason. This much I know, he is not a lefty like his mom.

This is when I got why they wanted to go out in this cool weather. There is not much reason or incentive to keep a hat on when it is warm outside! Getting Eric into winter attire for the really cold days is a struggle to say the least. I put a hat on him, he would throw it off right away. I had to fight him with mittens, and they never stayed on anyway. His school was having some concerns about this so it was built into his therapy program. Eric kept the hat on the whole time he was out there!!! WOW!!! This is big for him. His head is so sensitive. The mittens will be next, but we have to desensitize his hands before we have a prayer at that.

Here is another surprise. Usually when I take Eric outside he just wants to run around, go on the slide in the park, or touch cars. He wants nothing to do with sand, dirt, grass, leaves, ect. I was amazed that he was willing to touch and hold this stick!!!
This outing did not last long because it was quite chilly outside. He came back in without a major meltdown! Wow Eric you are doing great!

No comments:

Post a Comment