Sunday, April 12, 2009

Updates on Eric

It's been a while. We changed providers recently and with the changeover there was not much being done. Then Eric got sick and had to miss 4 days. These folks have done a good job in transitioning him in and carrying on with his treatment. He's starting to take his verbalization to the next level. They present him with a magnetic letter and ask him either the color or the letter. Before he was just saying whatever he wanted. Now he is telling them what they request. They will ask him to count to an odd number like 17, he used to keep going as long as he wanted now he knows when to stop. One of his favorite phrases is "I want tickle please", one day, out of the blue he said "I want ball please" he will now say that for car, book, hug (and he will hug me now too :-)) and eat. Wow, he is starting to associate. It's even more impressive that he did this on his own. I will say "how's Eric", he always says good, but he is getting the idea. When I picked him up from school on the day he was sick his said "hi mommy" when he seen me. I wanted to cry! He calls me daddy sometimes too, maybe because it easier to say. That is going to be interesting to explain...One step closer to being able to talk with him. There is still a lot of repeating me. There were a couple times when I slipped and he repeated words that I didn't want him too. Oops! He's been sitting better and much calmer during his sessions most days. For a while we were having a lot of problems with very bad tantrums. He was not sleeping well at the time, and it was quite crazy with the previous provider. Thankfully that passed. He was doing great with the potty, even verbally requesting to go! I thought we had him out of pullups during the day until he got sick. We've lost some ground, which is not unusual when this happens, but working on it again so he don't regress too much. We are loving the Kiss the Spoon game. He will hold the spoon to his lips for up to 2 minutes. The cup, well he will still hold it without throwing it in my face most of the time. That still needs some work.

He is off today because of the holiday. Yesterday we attempted to color eggs. Eric's baby brother thought they were balls and threw and broke most of the eggs. Most of the time he just wanted to watch me do it, but he did eventually dip one in. That one got saved from Hurricane Jonathan. I'm glad to see him participate in something like this as he never would before.

All in all he is doing fabulous! Keep it up Eric!!!

1 comment:

  1. Im so glad you got a new provider. Good job Eric on your progression!

    ReplyDelete