Saturday, April 24, 2010

Everyone Has an Opinion...

Yesterday the teacher from Birth to 3 came to do Jon's last evaluation of him to prepare for the meeting with the school district 5/4. I hate these evals because the test kit is colorless and boring to say the least. Getting him to sit for this is usually a chore. He gave us a pleasant surprise by sitting down with the shape puzzle. He spent plenty of time looking at and lining up the pieces. Once he did decide to start doing it he knew where all the shapes went. Some it took him a bit to turn to put them in, but the job got done and I knew he could do it. Did the same thing with the blocks, had no interest in stacking. He was able to put a penny in a little piggy bank, and nest some cups with prompting. He sat pretty well too surprisingly. Looks good right???...

Jon turns 3 in June. You could expect a kid about 1 year old to do some of this stuff. The delays, everyone agrees on. Just because he's performing better than his brothers don't mean he is where he should be. The teacher pointed out there are still missing pieces. He don't play with toys appropriately. While he does interact more with others, it is just to get tickles, get high fives and count backwards. He stares off in space at times. There is the spinning, the hand flapping, ect. She pointed out to me when we were done he just ran aimlessly, he did not go to play with toys like most kids would. This was what the ABA providers said and more. What a way to rain on my parade! People wonder why I get confused and frustrated. Back in the days with Eric it was easy compared to this.

I've seen so much improvement and promising things from Jon. I don't want to lose focus on that. On the other hand, I want him to be able to get the help he needs as soon as possible. He's doing great with the preschool transition class he goes to for an hour and a half 2 days a week. His OT has provided us with a compression vest that he is wearing there. The teacher says it's making a world of difference for him as far as compliance, sitting, participating with the group and keeping him calm. Here he is with it, not happy at the time because it's really hard for me to put on him and I don't think I did it right.

As it stands right now he ages out of Birth to 3 on 6/6. They stop providing services at that point. The teachers and therapists in the school district aren't into working summers here, and of course there is the financial considerations to the suits. Most likely he won't start with them until September. Our Early Head Start family advocate is going to try to get him in the next transition class that will last until Aug. and she will continue to see him until he starts school. There are also playgroups they run I can take him to so he can get the social interaction, but I have to stay with him and would need care for the other boys. We also discussed the reality of the services he will get at school. I never had much issue with Eric, and everything worked out really nice for him. I can already see now with Andy it's not going to be so easy. This school year has left me less than impressed with what he's getting and the direction they want to go with him. Yes, both boys did grow once they started school, but it was the in home therapy where they made real progress. School districts are very limited as to what they can do. The problem is to get the in home help we are going to have to get another evaluation, possibly 2. We are going to have to stress the weaknesses, whereas I would rather focus on the positive. It's a shame that anyone has to go through all of this to get the help their kids need.

With all that said, my plan remains the same. I'm going to wait and see how he does in school. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, and I think it is possible he could flourish with the regular social interaction. These last few weeks have been long, busy, stressful and exhausting with all these appointments. Frankly, I've had enough with evaluations right now and I'm sure he has too. We are going to relax and enjoy this week with no major appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment