Monday, August 3, 2009

Haircuts: Mission Accomplished!!!

This has been a struggle for a long time. Eric has a VERY hard time with haircuts. There is only one stylist in town that will touch him. Of course she works at a salon where a haircut is $25, and that don't include the well deserved tip! I took Andy and Jon there too, was just easy at the time. It is summer (although the weather don't feel like it...) and the boys hair was just getting so long. Getting the time, and in most cases, the funds available has been a real challenge. Eric's senior therapist suggested that I buy a clippers and she would help me buzz Eric. At first I thought she was nuts. I would leave the salon with scratches and bruises after Eric's haircut. This is not a job to take lightly. She still wanted to attempt it, so I bought the clippers but didn't hold much hope. The plan was to first get him to tolorate the sight, the feel and the sound of the machine. Then slowly get him to accept it on his head. The first day he wanted nothing to do with it. I figured this was going to be a very slow process, and wanted to get something from the investment in the clippers, so I got brave. My first haircut victim was Jon since his hair is the lightest colored so the screw ups won't show up as bad, he is the easiest going and the lowest stakes from what I thought.



Here he is after I was done. He cried some, but did not move much. He really did well. I am not that good at this, but for my 1st time ever doing this, it's presentable. I was actually getting compliments on it. I am thinking these folks are just being nice to me. It was hard seeing those cute curls go, but they will grow back. He is a boy, and now he looks like one. After this I've been wanting to attempt Andy's hair. Today he was in a good mood, and I had all my reinforcements together, so decided to give it a go...


The final results on Andy. He was definatley more difficult than Jon. His milk and the video games did not work. He wanted more than anything to get out of the chair. As time went on he did fuss, but he stopped moving so much. Afterwords I took out the bubble machine and all was well from there :-)

From here I got gutsy. Eric's hair was so long, and it just was not him. It really seemed to bother him too. Since I was able to do Andy I figured, how much harder could it be with Eric. His therapist told me today that he was doing great with the clippers. I knew this was my time. Yes, there were violent tantrums, lots of yelling. I am quite sore right now from his fight. Is it worth it? TOTALLY!!! He really does look nice. Again, close up it is obvious I am an amature at this. But anything looks better than how it was, and more comfortable too. He was mad at me for a while.



By this time he's had it, even with the photo session. I feel bad becasue he's been out of sorts all evening since I did this. I'm sure this was hard for him and took a lot out of him. He will be OK I am sure. I just gave him some extra loving before bedtime. It seems I've been forgiven. Sweet little guy...

With that, I am very glad this job is done for a while!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment