Sunday, February 1, 2009

Andy's Eval Update

Andy's appointment with the neuropsychologist was last Thursday morning. Of course I had to get sick earlier that week and I felt horrid that morning. I was able to fix myself up enough to get through the appointment. If this was not already rescheduled and wasn't so important for Andy I would have cancelled in a heartbeat. We got there before 8 am and were told that we weren't expected until 9 am. The preregistration person told me 8 am. It was around 10 am when we were taken back to the office. Andy handled the wait well. I was ready to take a nap on the couch in the waiting room. Once we got in there were a bunch of questions and tests. Normally I would have taken note of the details, but my main concern at that time was to get through this and get us both home in one piece afterwords. That is why we get written reports. If anyone is interested in more details at that time let me know.

I am going to cut to the chase. Andy got an autism diagnosis that day. It's bad news because nobody wants this to happen to their child. It is good news because the help he needs is going to be much more accessible. Once the county caseworker gets these reports he will be put on the wait list for in home services. It still may be about 2-3 years he has to wait to actually get the in home funding but at least the ball is rolling now and this was much smoother than it was with Eric. He may also qualify for more services from the school. We shall see.

The genetics appointment is scheduled for March 18th. I will be meeting with a genetisist and a genetics counsellor that day, with Andy. If anything is found with him the other boys will be brought in. There are still concerns about the shape of his forehead and the shape of his nose. Especially after I mentioned his frequent sinus infections, allergy and asthma problems and his snoring. It is going to be looked into. Anything is worth a try if it could help.

No comments:

Post a Comment