Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Back on Track

We now have a regular therapy schedule. Everyone is healthy now so we are back down to business. We are working heavily with a new cup and a spoon. We finally have a developed program for that. The senior therapist is going to instruct the line therapists on it this week. We are also working on following simple instructions. He can go up to 5 in a row. That really surprised me. He will now tolorate a hat on his head for a short time. He isn't thrilled about it, but when it's cold outside it is needed. He is putting on and taking off his shoes and socks. He is starting to use the toilet again :-) I had him potty trained for daytime until all the sickness set him back. He will be happy to wear his underwear again. They are working on color identification. Remember this ball?

He identified blue, red, yellow and green on the first request. It is amazing what he knows. Now he is learning to communicate it. It's really awesome. He is now saying a few sentances. The most common ones are "I want tickle please" "Hug me please" and "I want to eat". Wow! I never thought I would see the day he would be talking this much. He repeats many things I say or the therapist says, even things we don't want him to repeat. With that, mommy has to start watching my language.

The senior therapist set this up to simulate a dining area with a bowl of cheerios, a spoon and a cup for Eric and the therapist. We would like to get him to eat at the dining room table with the family in time. We don't have much children's furniture, so this had to do. This was too much for Eric right now. He would go nowhere near this. That is OK, I am impressed with the creativity here. I am feeling much better about what is going on in my home during this therapy. It is great to see everyone on the same page and progressing. They are able to keep his attention longer too so we can do the 3 hour sessions very soon. That is a long time but necessary to meet the state's minimum hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment