Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Vantage


This is Eric's new electronic communication device. Sometimes they are called voice output machines. Basically this is a complicated computer that will help him with communication. He has made extensive progress with verbal communication, and this is not going to be used as a substitute for that. This is a tool to help him until he can consistantly communicate in a meaningful way. He learned his first words that he used with meaning during his trial with this machine at school. Now he has one all his own that will be with him at all times. Too bad the battery is dead right now and I think the school has the charger. I just took everything out of the box and sent it to school so they could set it up. At this time I know how to power it on. I was supposed to do an online training on this but never got the info for it. Last fall when we had the meeting about this Eric was using this thing like a pro. Go figure. He will probobly be teaching me. The assitive technology coordinator and his speech therapist will program this to keep up with his needs. I am glad that this is available for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment