Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Baby Brother Qualifies for Speech

This morning we had the IFSP meeting for Jon with the birth to 3 folks. He is much more behind in speech than I ever imagined. Although he will surprise us with saying some things way beyond what he should be, he is still very delayed. I am talking 3-6 months here, Jon is 2 years old. Yeah, not easy to hear. Just when I thought he was doing so much more than his brothers and I had some hope I get this. Starting in 2 days, I will be bringing him to a speech class that is led by a speech therapist and I have to attend and work with him. This will be once a week for an hour. Other concerns were discussed such as his play behavior, the spinning, the toe walking, regression. It was recommended that I start the SSI application process and start getting more evaluations done on him. As much as this sucks I am ready to face it. It's best for him to get this taken care of quickly so maybe it won't progress too far. On the other hand I am really tempted to see how he does with this speech class and go from there. Some ways I am hoping that all of this is jumping the gun. After going through this twice, at least I know what to expect which makes it a little easier. Nothing needs to be decided right this second so I can give it some time. I know I will be guided.

No comments:

Post a Comment