Thursday, July 16, 2009

Nutritional Risks for Austistic Children.

Not that any of this is a surprise to me. Found this article on the Austim News. When Eric was first brought to the feeding clinic at CHW they did bloodwork and found he had a fatty acid deficiency. For a while I was putting cooking oil in his juice and he had to drink it, not nice looking. I can see where this would be an issue for many kids. The limited variety that some of these kids eat don't help matters any. This really scares me for Eric and Andy's health as time goes on. Andy is already chronically anemic. I can't get food with iron in him and he can't tolorate suppliments. The good news in this is the power of Omega 3 fish oils. Many friends, and I swear on these to help with depression and anxiety. I can see them helping with these children.

2 comments:

  1. SO I never even thought about the fatty acid deficency. And I am sure Caden has never been tested for it. But it sure would make sense as to why he is still at 4 as thin as a stick with no meat on him what so ever. Not to mention the fact that he eats nothing but dry ceral or rice cakes. Thanks for the info Peg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm... Fatty acid def. I wonder if Cardon has that too... He does eat fish oils everyday though, they are great. I give him some kids stuff. Before he got the chewables I got him a liquid and put it in yogurt.

    ReplyDelete