Friday, September 4, 2009

Breaking Resistance

Last week I started noticing Eric was taking drinks of water or juice out of his straw cups independently. His teacher and school are concerned about him not eating and drinking anything at school for nutrition and hydration reasons. They do not want his preferred cup there, and he has to adjust to a new teacher and routine again so he is not comfortable using the straw cups at school yet. His feeding clinic appointment is Sept 16th with the whole team, including the GI doctor. The psychologist there told me that if no progress has been made the hospital will be strongly recommended. I would prefer to avoid that due to child care issues with my other sons if I could. If it has to be, we'll find some way to make it work but I would rather not. The pressure is on, and as seen from my last post therapy time has been in short supply, and will be for God knows how much longer. While they were here this summer I watched and learned a lot of the ABA techniques and really started practicing with him at home, and in everyday life. With all of that I felt quite confident and patient, and the time was looking good so I took matters in my own hands. I hid the preferred cup and brought out the straw cup with his CIB and would offer him nothing else.

This has not been easy, nor has it been fun. He has been crying, screaming, fighting, kicking and hitting me, and still not drinking a real lot. I have to keep persisting until he complies, can't give in. All the while it is necessary to stay calm. This is not easy to do. The hope is that he eventually gives in and accepts that is how it's going to be. This plan worked with the haircut, and I got the job done and it looks quite nice if I do say so myself ;-) (I did have some help from his therapist there). This is harder because Eric has it in his head that the only way he can eat and drink his main meals is in his chair at the table and out of his preferred cup. There is no flexibility in his mind and the resistance to any type of change is VERY strong. This is how many children on the autism spectrum are wired to think, it is very rigid. It is possible to break through this resistance and change their habits and routines, but it is not pretty to watch or carry out. Yesterday was a tough day for most of the day, until his before bed feeding. He let me guide the cup and straw to his mouth, and he sucked a little out of the straw. I asked him to take 10 drinks, counting all the way through it. He still isn't thrilled about it, but he is doing it without any major tantrums. We're starting to get the desired result. He's so close to accomplishing this transition I can taste it. All the tantrums, bruises, yelling, lack of sleep and stress is paying off. I really think he can take this all the way this time.

Yesterday after school he seemed quite tired and out of it, and I noticed that he didn't eat or drink anything at school. So I did give him his drink from the preferred cup at that time to get him what he needed. I resumed with the straw cup at the next feeding. That is where the real fight began until the next session where he finally started to give in. I'm putting this in to let everyone know that I am not putting his health at risk to do this and that I am going off the guidance of his doctors. Professionals really need to be involved when doing things like this. I am glad to see that he will drink the water and juice with the straw, and with various cups. Without this I would not have attempted this with his CIB, which is his main nutritional source.

Keep rooting for Eric everyone. We are almost there! I will update once we make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment