Thursday, September 3, 2009

School Has Begun


Here is Eric and Andy waiting for their buses to go to school. Eric's first day was Tuesday. I thought Andy's was too. The first bus comes and I ask if it's for Eric or Andy since Andy's came first last year, no it's for Eric. Andy was NOT happy with that answer. I had some stuff on the porch that Eric needed to take with that never made it on the bus. So I wait for another 15 to 20 min for Andy's bus. We had to go inside because Jon woke up, that didn't go over well either. Tried to call the bus company, stayed on hold for 10 minutes knowing I didn't have a prayer at getting through. I quickly dress Jon and pack him, Andy and Eric's stuff that was left behind and we were off. We got to Andy's school to find out he didn't start school until Thursday! Apparently it was in a letter I got. How could I get that wrong? Anyway I go take care of everything at Eric's school . I met his teacher, but she wasn't expecting to see me and I had 2 little kids with. I am not forming an opinion right now because of those reasons. We get home and I find the letter for Andy and sure enough it says the first day is Thursday September 3. Duh! I really need to start reading closer. He got off OK today. I was getting concerned about his bus when it was getting to be 10 min before his classes started. We live only 5 blocks away from the school so they got here 5 min before and were still on time. This time he was very good about waiting for his bus :-)

Eric is now in 2nd grade. He's in a self contained special ed class that specializes in children with cognitive and more extensive disabilities. There are kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade students in this class. Initially he was supposed to have the same teacher all 3 years but she took a new job. Eric has a new teacher this year. He and I are slowly adjusting. She is saying it is taking some time to get him to listen to her. I have to get used to her communication system, it is much different and less detailed than his former teacher's. She did work as an ABA therapist while in college and taught a class that was all autistic children before. So this is really nice for Eric. I think it will just be a process of getting used to everyone and everything. Eric has the same para this year which helps.

Andy is starting his 2nd year of early childhood. This year it is actually Early Childhood/4K combined. There are 15 kids in the classroom, both special ed and regular ed. There is also 2 teachers, 1 special ed and 1 regular ed and 2 assistants. The school day is also 25 min longer, although it is still half day. He gets home about 11:15 am. There were no phone calls from there and no notes so I am assuming everything went smoothly. I don't know what is going to happen next year since he can't start kindergarten. He don't turn 5 until 9/27/10 so that is not going to meet the cutoff date. It will be nice for him to have the extra year. Their goal is to get him into the regular kindy classes at that school. As optimistic as I want to be I really don't see that happening. You never know, but still. He very well may be starting his ABA therapy sometime after the new year. The state is really moving with getting these kids off the wait list. That is great, but I hope there are therapists available to work with him since we are having problems with that for Eric. See a future post for more info on that. I am so behind on this, it will get here sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment