Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Still On Hold

Eric has not had therapy regularly for weeks. It was called for all last week because of Andy's skin infection, which in reality is just like planters warts. Two doctors gave Andy a release to go back to school, Eric's school was not concerned about this. Last week Andy was able to go to school without any issues from this. They told me they would restart therapy Monday. Early Head Start and Birth to 3 still came to our home. The provider still would not bend on their rules, they stood pat with Monday. Last weekend both Eric and Andy came down with colds. The provider decided to wait until Thursday to start. This I can understand, since Eric has a pretty nasty cough and runny nose, is cranky and really not feeling that great. This cold is more of a threat to the staff and other kids than Andy's skin infection. This makes all this from last week much more irritating. I've been assured he won't get kicked off the waiver, but it isn't doing him any good if the darn therapists aren't coming. They called today, asked if the cough, ect was gone. It's not so I said no. Now we wait until Monday. The school is still not sending them home because of this. Early Head Start was here this morning. You would think if you work in this field, or if you have young children dealing with frequent colds and such comes with the territory. Yes, illnesses can be more severe in autistic children and I do worry sometimes with my boy's limited communication skills and nutritional intake that something could get serious and they could not tell me. But I had to let go of those fears because it's a necessary risk to get these kids the help they need. At this point I am beyond angry about this therapy issue. I feel bad because I'm not fighting for Eric more. It's futile, makes me very stressed and I am just tired out from it. I sometimes wonder if they think this is somehow my fault, I am sure they will find a way to make it look that way. I'm doing what I can with Eric at home. He is doing great with the talking, but the behavior issues are getting worse. I've been having problems with aggressive behavior from Andy too. It's so frustrating all around. I wish I could do more...

No comments:

Post a Comment