Friday, December 18, 2009

Visit to Andy's School

Since today was the last day of school before Christmas break begins, Andy's school had some special holiday activities and parents were invited. I was able to get a sitter for Jon and attend this. It was really nice. Andy really didn't attend much, he just was wandering and doing his own thing for the most part. He did get a couple of presents, I will talk about that more in the post I will write after this one. I was able to meet one of the speech therapists that work with Andy this morning. They also had the communication device that he is using out so I could see it in action. There were a couple of other parents there. There was still a lot of activity and a lot of people. The schedule was off, and Andy is not used to me being at school. This is an integrated 4K classroom. There are 16 kids in the class, one special ed teacher, one regular ed teacher 2 aides (one is specifically for a child that has extensive special needs, the other works a lot with Andy but is available for the whole class). Last year there were only 8 kids in the class, and it was strictly special ed. This is probably one of the reasons why he's having a harder time. When I first came in he was sitting at the table eating snack with his classmates. Once he seen me he wouldn't sit down. He kept turning on and off the lights. The door was opened so parents knew they could come in, but Andy kept leaving the classroom and I had to get him twice. They closed the door and from there he pretty much played on his own. From here I will tell about this with the pictures.

This had me a bit worried this would be a very short visit when I seen this as soon as I walked in the door... already trying to give me my jacket???


This is the communication device Andy is using at school. He's learned "more" quite well. The speech therapist said he knows the core vocabulary, but only actually uses more consistently on the machine.

I never knew he liked puzzles this much. It was hard to keep him away for a while. He started out actually putting them together. After a while he wanted to take them ALL out and dump the pieces and make a mess. Obviously that wasn't allowed. I wish I knew he liked puzzles before I did my Christmas shopping. I still can get some for him after.

Holding a Rudolph puppet. Mostly running around with it like he does with clothing at home.

Just like at home, he loves the phone. They have the same idea, plug it into electricity so they can push buttons and have light and sound, but not plugged into a phone line so they can't call anyone!

Andy was followed around with this throughout that hour plus. When he wanted a toy or something the SLP had him push the "I want" button.

Picking out train cars

Getting them set up. I really didn't know he was into trains either.

He knew how they went together. No, it wasn't on the track but he did keep them on the table!

He LOVED pointing to the days on the calendar. They said he picks it up and does this every day at circle time :-) Eric loved to do this too when he was this age.

Rudolph is joining Andy at the magnetic maze thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment