Monday, June 1, 2009

He's Taking Sips Out of His Big Boy Cup!!!



I hid his soft spout sippy cup that he would only drink out of. His therapist asked me to make his Carnation Instant Breakfast in this cup, just acting like nothing is different. I did it. He was not happy at first. There were tantrums, but we persisted. He started putting it to his lips and taking small drinks. Yes, there was plenty of protest but he was doing it. We had to lay on the praise and keep telling him to drink. We waited for him to calm down before we ended the session. That is how they always did it at the feeding clinic. They said it is best to end on a positive note. We did the same thing one more time with the therapist here, he was a little better. Then I tried it twice this evening. First time was ugly, but he drank a little. Second time is shown in this video. I was able to ask him to say "all done" when he was finished and then allowed him out. He did not actually drink much, which concerns me a bit. I will have to talk to the feeding team people about that. But I am so proud of him for putting his big boy cup in his mouth and taking some sips. He will be off that old cup in no time if this keeps up. Way to go Eric!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment