Friday, June 5, 2009

Update On Eric's Cup Transition

He is doing well with accepting the cup. No, he is not happy about it but he will put the spout to his lips and drink on command. He has difficulty bringing the cup up once it is to his lips and putting his head back to drink without help. Yesterday evening he let me assist him with this, and still is. When I do this he takes his hands off the cup. I don't want to get to a point where I have to hold a cup for him again so I insist he keeps his hands on it. The amount he is drinking is still a concern. I've had to give him his old cup once on Wed. and have given it to him yesterday and once this morning. He will also accept a wet washcloth to chew sometimes. I used this before I gave in on Wed. I work with him with the new cup at minimum 2 times a day on a school day, will more on the weekends. He is now eating cheerios at school. He even accepted multigrain cheerios twice from a bowl according to a note I got. He really is doing a good job with this. The therapists and I thought it was a good idea to work with him a few times a day with the new cup. Use his preferred cup as a reinforcer. It is going to be a slower process than I expected, but most likely better in the long run. Maybe this will make ending the meal on a positive note a possible task. I have been told by both the feeding team psychologists and the ABA therapists not to end the session until he complies and not while he is crying, fighting, ect, only when he is calm. That has been really hard to do since he will comply with the new cup, I praise him and it helps some but he won't be happy until he gets his other cup. I am VERY happy with his progress on this so far. It is now looking like this will be an attainable goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment