Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Is In Full Gear

Now we have the weather to go with it too. I was thinking that I should have been careful what I wished for last weekend. It got quite hot outside and we either had no AC or very inadiquate window units. It was really hot and none of us were handling it well, and we all were sleeping very poorly. Today the landlord brought in a bigger, better working AC unit. It is much cooler in here, the kids are happier, Eric is much more complient with his work and mommy is in a much better mood. Tonight should be very restful and comfortable for well needed and deserved sleep.

School has been out for the summer for over a week now. Eric will be starting summer school tomorrow. It is a special program called Life, Learning and Leisure, which runs every summer for children in self contained special ed classes and in the cognitive disabilites classroom. He will be going 4 days a week from 8 am to noon. This will go on until the end of July. Andy will not go to summer school. They don't think he will regress through the summer. I've been given a list of things to work with him on. I'm doing the best I can considering I am also busy with 2 other kids, but it will all work out. It's nice spending the time with him. Last month I also filled out an application for Eric for a week long Easter Seals camp that will take place in August on the suggestion of his teacher. It will go Monday through Thursday from 10-4 and overnight Friday into Saturday. This is the part I am nervous about if he is accepted. He cannot go to sleep unless I am laying with him. This would have been a major issue if he had to go to the hospital too. I know this has to be resolved. This would be a better way of trying it. At least this is one night, he will be in town and I can easily go pick him up if it just isn't going to work out. I was told they would let me know by mail whether he was accpted in about 2 weeks, and that was a couple of weeks ago so I should know soon.

We are now on his summer therapy schedule. The hours have increased and is more intensive. Monday through Friday we have therapists here from 12:30 until 6 or 6:30 pm. It is a long day for him. It is going to take some time for all of us to get used to this. He is usually fine at the beginning as long as he has ate/drank and got decent sleep the night before. Usually one therapist works with him for about 3 hours then another therapist comes and takes over. This transition is very hard for him. He thinks that he is done because the one therapist is leaving and is not too pleased to have to work for another one at that time. It usually takes about 10 minutes for him to calm down and get back to work after that. From there it usually goes smoothly. His first session starts right before nap time for Jon and Andy. They have not been sleeping well with them here. Naps have been a bust. This was usually my rest time too, but now that don't work. Now I am going to have to start getting up early to get Eric ready for school It's going to make for a long day. There are times during the week that I have other visitors for Jon or other business while they are here. It gets hectic at times. It's OK, for Eric it is so very worth it. Hopefully the little guys adjust to this soon so they aren't so cranky in the evening. They are taking him outside for a while for many of his sessions, weather permitting. He loves that. We now have our weekends free from therapy. That is AWESOME!!! Don't get me wrong I appreciate what they are doing for Eric when they come here but it is nice to have family time too. We will be quite busy this summer, but I am very much looking forward to seeing Eric progress and for our family to do fun things together.

No comments:

Post a Comment