Monday, June 8, 2009

When to Consider Other Options...

This does not involve Eric or Andy, it is about my youngest son Jon. Yes, I will be venting some here, but this is relavant to the topic at hand. I am sure some other parents have experienced these kinds of things.

I am going to start off by saying that I am very grateful for the wonderful services that this state and county provide. Most of the time I don't have any major problems with the services that any of my children recieve. Many parents deal with very few offerings unless they want to pay out of pocket for private, or deal with less than adiquate services. Really, I hate to complain, but this really got to me.

Jon is recieveing early childhood education and occupational therapy from our local Early Intervention/Birth to 3 service. He also has Early Head Start working with him. That worker comes to our home and works with Jon, and I for 90 minutes a week. Jon just recently turned 2, which means it is time for reevaluations, updating plans and goals, IFSP meetings, ect. On Monday there was a meeting scheduled which I thought was the IFSP. The EIP service coordinator and early head start worker came here. I was waiting for other folks to show up just to be told this was "the meeting before the meeting". Ok, what's going on here??? First the EHS worker mentions that I did not take Jon for the floride varnishing for his teeth they were offering, even after reminders and calling me. He was sleeping while this was going on (from 1-3 pm, mind you many children his age are napping then). I am not going to wake him up from nap to get floride applied to his teeth. There were other pressing issues I had to deal with at that time too. Yes, this is a wonderful offering and I have nothing against this being done. I know you have offered it a few times and I never got there. Something else always comes up. It's just me and these boys and have special needs children to boot. Not trying to complain or make excuses, it's just how it is. It just could not happen this time. So sue me. I was told this was my child's health this is concerning. I understand that. No need to confront me and act like I am neglecting my child because I didn't go to this. This was not starting out well. Then the service coordinator told me that they are recommending that I consider private clinical therapy for Jon. I know that speech therapy additon was talked about earlier. There are a shortage of speech therapists so there is a wait. No biggie, it can wait until it is more needed if he falls further behind. The reason why private therapy is being suggested is that they don't think Jon is making much progress due to my lack of follow through with the therapy throughout the week. WHAT??? I will admit I have been focusing more on Eric and Andy lately. Mostly because they have much more severe delays and are higher needs. They have more going on with them rigth now. It is hard sometimes to find the time to get him to play with a toy that he isn't interested in properly. I am able to work with him with the spoon every day and he is getting better, not completely there but much better. She did say that there was progress there. I was just not getting where he was not progressing. He is sitting much better for sessions and is willing to at least try what they are doing. Then it was suggested that I take Jon to the feeding clinic. Why??? There is nothing wrong with his eating. He will eat most of what is presented to him. This was getting absurd. They were told right out that was not necessary. I was told that the IFSP would be in a week and everything will be tried again for a month, and I was to think about everything that was said to me. Maybe I am just a little over sensitive, but why so much pressure on a 2 year old to perform and improve. I guess they have to measure effectiveness somehow to justify the money being spent. If this isn't working then something else may be better. If it was financially possible I would seriously consider private therapy. It is not at this time. I would consider just working with him on my own without them but I don't want to be accused of child neglect. Three days later the occupational therapist came to do her evaluation. It shown improvement in 2 out of 3 areas. One of which was 4 months gain in 6 months time. No signs of improvement??? I am so nervous about this meeting tomorrow. I will be guided to the best decison for Jon. I just wish that all of this didn't happen. Wish us luck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment